Boerewors Recipe (South African Farmer Sausage)
1 lb coarsely ground beef (with around 25 - 30% fat)
1 lb coarsely ground pork (or lamb)
1 packet BiltongMate Boerie Balls spice mix (1 oz)
1.5 oz (44 ml) white vinegar (one shot glass full!)
hog (or sheep) pre-tubed natural casings (available at Amazon)
To get a coarse grind, use a 1/4" / 6mm grinder plate (or ask your butcher to grind it for you)
Sausage stuffer (available at Amazon)
Sausage pricker (available at Amazon)
1. Combine beef, pork, spice and vinegar in a large bowl and mix thoroughly.
2. Stuff loosely into casing, forming a long coil.
3. When necessary, use a sausage pricker to remove any air bubbles that form under the casing.
Refrigerate until use.
Braai (Barbecue) Cooking (preferred):
1. Place the whole coil of boerewors on a rack over gentle coals.
2. Turn the boerewors frequently so that both sides cook evenly.
3. Remove the boerewors once the casing has turned golden brown and the internal temperature of the boerewors reaches 160°F. There should be no more pink color inside it. Let it rest for a couple of minutes before serving.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Lightly coat the boerewors with a little vegetable oil.
3. Cook it for 10 minutes, turn it onto the other side and then cook for another 10 minutes.
PLEASE NOTE: Never use a regular fork to prick the casings, either during the stuffing process, or at any time during the cooking process. That will lead to the loss of juices during cooking, resulting in dry boerewors.